Monday, September 27, 2010

Steadfast Love

Another thought journal post:

What have I thought of this past week’s lessons?  To be totally honest, I haven’t thought a whole lot about them during the normal course of my day.  Between going home and going to the lake, this has been the least program-focused week so far.  But that does not mean that I’ve been unaffected by what I’ve been learning.
In chapter three of Counsel from the Cross, we are exhorted to be overwhelmed by the steadfast love of God.  Being home let me see how much human love encourages and strengthens me.  How much more then should God’s love?  And yet, allowing me the chance to be home was one way that God showed me His love.  Then, Friday and Saturday, I was at Possum Kingdom Lake with my boss and her family.  There, I was enabled to revel in the beauty of God’s creation.  Add to that the glorious weather this weekend!  I have been acutely aware of God’s magnificent love and the many ways He deigns to show Himself to me.  I know that when I am tired, I am less likely to see His wonders than I am when rested but I hope that I will be enabled to look for His graciousness even through exhaustion.
As I’m writing this, I realize how we’ve seen the exact same thing—God’s love—in our lessons and projects this week too.  God didn’t destroy Adam and Eve and start over.  He actually promised blessing to them!  And despite Abraham’s folly, He made promise after promise of blessing to him.  It’s not as if what I’m seeing is anything new; I’m just seeing a little more of what God has been showing me all along.  Black is my sin, but bright is the light of His grace that burns it away.  His steadfast love isn’t something that He just shows me either.  He started back in the garden and has continued throughout time.  He is “…The LORD, the LORD, a God merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands…” (Ex 3:6b-7a) and will be for all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment