Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Fork in the Road

With Program coming to an end, I’m more and more wondering what I’m to do next. I’ve never had to figure out something of this magnitude. Do I stay in here and commit to living here? Or do I return home to my family and start anew in my life with them? Would going home just be taking the easy route? Would I be able to hold true to what I’ve learned over this year or fall too easily into old habits? Can I live on my own, knowing that I’m not going back home at any particular point in time? What would I do for a job? It is all very confusing. Every time my life has changed, it has been as if I came upon a bend in the road and just went the only way I could. This time, I feel like I’ve come to a fork instead.

The road is overshadowed with trees and both paths disappear within a few yards. I’ve been along one path so I can guess what lies beyond sight. But I have changed so my footing is not as certain along the beaten way. The other road is new to me and I’m not certain if I am prepared to walk it. A hand descends on my shoulder and I look up into the face of the One who gave His life for me. “Follow Me,” He says.
“But how?” I cry. “I don’t know the way. I don’t know how to follow through the woods. I don’t know what You want me to do!”
“I am the way,” He says. “My word is the light for your path through darkness. Follow Me.”
“I don’t get it!” My heart cries back. “I’ve never had to do this before. I don’t know what I’m doing. I want to trust You but I’m afraid. I’m afraid of both paths. I don’t want to abandon my family but neither do I want to fall into old habits and lose sight of what You’ve taught me.”
“I will teach you in the way in which you should go. Come.”
With that, He is gone, though I know He has not left me. I stand still at the fork, trembling, wondering. Which is the path set for me?

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel, I think...I'm dealing with the same basic problem. You are in my prayers, my dear friend.

    It was so good to talk with you yesterday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you, I actually have quite a lot in the past couple days. So much so that I got on facebook to look this blog back up to see what you were doing. Write me an email, and tell me what's up. Sorry I haven't kept up with you better :(

    ReplyDelete